Whale sharks are the most gigantic creatures I have seen so far. My big regret is not to be able to swim with them because I was too frantic to be sucked into their huge mouth. Even though the guides assured that these are friendly creatures incapable of harming humans, I still didn’t plunge into the water. So if you have plans, dive, swim & enjoy. Don’t be a scaredy-cat like me.
Here are a few tips if you wish to have a close encounter with the whale sharks in Oslob, Cebu, Philippines:
- Wake up early. You should be in Cebu South Bus Terminal at 3 AM.
- Travel Time: 3-4 hrs from Cebu City proper to Oslob so you’ll reach there at around 7 AM.
- Tell the bus conductor to drop you off at the whale shark area in Tan-awan, Oslob.
- Bus Fare: non-air-conditioned = Php 150; air-conditioned = Php 155
- When you reach there, expect a lot of people lining up to pay the fees.
Whale Watching Only
Php 300.00 = Local guest (with boat ride)
Php 500.00 = Foreign guest (with boat ride)
Whale Watching + Snorkeling
Php 500 = Local guest (with boat ride + snorkeling gear)
Php 1, 000 = Foreign guest (with boat ride + snorkeling gear)
- After paying, get your ticket/s and proceed to the briefing area.
- It’s mandatory to wear a life jacket. Bring your own if you have or rent for Php 30.
- You’ll be assigned to the designated color! (blue, yellow, green). Ask your guide to bring you to your designated group.
- Ride the boat and enjoy! Whale watching/diving lasts for about 45 mins to 1 hr.
- Estimated Budget = Php 600-700
Here’s our Butanding (Whale Shark) video:Featured image (CC BY 2.0) from Janey